Christ Church was built in 1863 as the garrison church for British Forces in Aden, with Queen Victoria as one of its early benefactors. It remained active until 1970 when, following the British withdrawal in 1967, the communist government of South Yemen requisitioned the building. It was then used as a storage facility, and later a gymnasium, until the reunification of North and South Yemen in 1990.
From 1987 until 1993 the then Bishop of Cyprus and the Gulf, John Brown, was in negotiation with the government of South Yemen, and subsequently the united Republic of Yemen, for the restoration of the church to the diocese. The combination of an agreement that the church would build, fund and run a medical clinic for mothers and babies, and a fatwa issued by the Grand Mufti of the Yemen ordering that Christians should be permitted to worship freely “just as Muslims are permitted in Britain” clinched the matter.
The church was restored, and finally rededicated in 1997.